Saturday, June 02, 2007

Travelogue : Dublin

Custom House, Dublin

Last week I was in Dublin for a brief period on some official work. My first impression of the city was quite good. The day I landed there was a typical Irish grey weather with lots of clouds and heavy gusts of wind blowing. I found the people to be very fun-loving and jovial sort. The city as such is not that crowded, even though its a capital city, it has an ambience of a laid-back peaceful town, without any hustle-bustle. Weather wise I found it too windy, or maybe its because the most northern city I have been to I found it a bit cold for a european summer. As a photographer, I was not very much excited with the city architecture. The Irish landscapes are renowned, but the urban side of the city was not very photogenic. Food wise, there are plenty of restaurants to dine in and around the Grafton Street, Dame Street and along the Quays - predominantly Italian but there are quite a number of restaurants which serve Continental and Asian food as well. Well, ofcourse you have the traditional Irish pubs and kiosks where you could munch on some fish-n-chips or have a shot of Irish beer. Ireland is home to the Guinness brand and you see its prominence all around the city pubs. For shoppers in Dublin the major attraction is the St. Stephens Green Shopping Centre. There are plenty of shops on the Grafton Street and the O'Connell Street as well. Though my stay was for a very brief period, I very much liked the people and the general ambience in Dublin and I am looking forward to occassion when I could get a chance to see the beauty of the Irish landscapes. I have uploaded some of snaps on my Flickr page.

No comments: